Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Blue Blazer

The most basic part of a man's wardrobe is the blue blazer. But it doesn't have to be basic. I looked around for the right blue blazer for 2 years before I found the right one. Maybe that's a bit excessive but I knew what I wanted and how I wanted it to fit. What I wanted was a 2 button, peak lapel with side vents and a ticket pocket. I had it made. You don't have to search high and low to get what you want. A blue blazer is something that should be personalized. Everyone sells a blue blazer and they all look the same, boooring. You can't tell one from the other, Jos A Bank, Brooks Brothers, Burberry. The only thing that distinguishes one from the other is the price and the buttons. I recommend having one custom made. A blue blazer is something you can have for years if you take care of it properly. It may be something you pass down to your son. It should be designed with a little creativity but keeping in mind a classic look. I think a 2 button with a notch lapel, ticket pocket, side vents and working sleeve buttton holes would look nice. Where you can personalize it is in the lining or in the color of the stitching of the button holes. I would do a fushia or claret lining so the under half of the pockets and side vents show a little of the lining when you sit down or reach for your business cards. It's always a nice conversation piece and people will be impressed by your sartorial creativity. Finally, pick a fabric you can wear year round  and for something fun, wear it with jeans and a skinny tie on a casual Friday or weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment